Posture and Home Working
During this unprecedented time, and many people working from home, it is important to look after your posture. Julie Iveson, physiotherapist at the Iveson Clinic in Long Melford, gives some advice about posture and home working.
Follow the link to watch a video with Julie discussing about posture and how you can help yourself whilst working from home.
As people are getting more used to being at home, we are are adjusting to this different way of life. We may not have good office chairs or equipment at home but there are some things you can do to ease the strain on your spine.
The most important thing is not to sit for too long. 30 – 40 minutes and move if you can. Whether it be a gentle exercise in sitting, a stretch in standing or just walking into another room.
When we are sitting, the tendancy is to slump, and over a period of time, this puts stress on the spine and the muscles and ligaments. By moving regularly, this eases those stresses and strains and hopefully prevents the likelihood of injury.
Practical tips for better posture
There are a number of things you can do to help yourself at home. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Sit on a seat wedge cushion on your dining room or kitchen chair. This improves the position of your spine
- Use a wobble cushion on your chair to keep the spine and pelvis moving whilst sitting.
- If you don’t have a desk and are sitting on a sofa for example, with your laptop:-place a cushion under hips so that your hips are parallel or slightly above your knees. Put a cushion behind your back to support the spine, and possible a cushion or lap tray under the lap top to raise the device to a better working level.
- Get up regularly from your chair and stretch or have a walk
- Doing core exercises such as Pilates, will help to strengthen the muscles that support the spine.
If you need any further advice or are suffering from back or neck pain, we are at the end of the phone. The Iveson Clinic continues to offer video consultations or free telephone advice , whilst we are unable to see people face to face. We are preparing the clinic to make it a safe place for treatment in the future . In the meantime, keep well, stay safe and see you soon.
Tel: 01787 374964